I think it’s very important for our children to be familiar with our national symbols and what they mean. What is the significance of the Liberty Bell? Where did the Statue of Liberty come from? Why is the bald eagle our national bird? Why does our flag have fifty stars and stripes?
Below, I’ve gathered a list of books and hands-on activities for several of our national symbols here in the US. I hope you find these useful to use with your little ones and big ones, too.
Books about the Bald Eagle
- The Bald Eagle by Lloyd G. Douglas
- Soaring with the Wind: The Bald Eagle by Gail Gibbons ~ I highly recommend anything written by Gail Gibbons!
- The Bald Eagle by Norman Pearl
- Eaglet’s World by Evelyn Minshull
After reading about bald eagles, why not do a hands-on craft or two.
- I love this bald eagle craft made with fun foam and feathers.
- Or, how about this torn paper eagle mosaic?
- Here’s an entire page dedicated to learning about eagles. Check out the life-sized bald eagle mural and nest!
- Here’s a wonderful bald eagles lapbook. | Homeschool Share
- Then, wrap up your study of bald eagles with this super cute Eagle Snack!
Books about the American Flag
- F is for Flag by Wendy Lewison
- Betsy Ross: Designer of Our Flag by Ann Weil ~ We love this Childhood of Famous Americans series!
- The American Flag Coloring Book by Beatrice Harrison
- The First American Flag by Kathy Allen
- Our American Flag by Mary Firestone
There are so many ways to create your own American Flag. Here are just a few ideas to get you started.
- American Flag Craft with Dot Paints – You could also use circle stickers (the kind you use to price things for a yard sale) to fill in this flag.
- Here’s a fun 4th of July sensory bin with a matching flag craft.
- Felt Build-a-Flag craft
- United States Flag lapbook
Books about the Liberty Bell
- The Liberty Bell by Lloyd Douglas
- The Liberty Bell by Mary Firestone
- Our Liberty Bell by Henry Jonas Magaziner
- Saving the Liberty Bell by Megan McDonald
A couple of Liberty Bell activities:
Books about Mt. Rushmore
- What is Mt. Rushmore? by Laine Falk
- Mt. Rushmore by Judith Jango-Cohen
- Who Carved the Mountain? The Story of Mount Rushmore by Jean Patrick
- Flat Stanley’s Worldwide Adventures #1: The Mount Rushmore Calamity by Jeff Brown
Let’s get hands-on!
Books about the Statue of Liberty
- The Story of the Statue of Liberty by Betsy Maestro
- Naming Liberty by Jane Yolen
- Liberty’s Voice : The Story of Emma Lazarus byErica Silverman
- Emma’s Poem : The Voice of the Statue of Liberty by Linda Glaser
- Lady Liberty : A Biography by Doreen Rappaport
A few learning activities
- Make a Statue of Liberty torch and crown
- Statue of Liberty foam sculptures
- Statue of Liberty with Fireworks art project
General “National Symbols” study resources
- Fourth of July Finger Puppets ~ Pipe cleaner finger puppets for bald eagle, Statue of Liberty, and Uncle Sam
- Match the Symbols game
Clipart credit: Phillip Martin